Could Your Household's Allergy Problems Be Caused By Mold?

If you and other members of your household seem to start sneezing nearly as soon as you walk in the door to your home, you may find yourselves joking that you're allergic to your house. In some cases, this may not be far from the truth. Latent mold growth within a home's walls, floors, or ceilings can cause respiratory irritation, fever, unclear thinking, and other relatively vague symptoms that can be hard to pinpoint to a cause. Read on to learn more about some common symptoms of mold infestation, as well as how you can get more detailed information on the likelihood that mold exists within your home. 

What symptoms can be caused by mold inside the home? 

While some types of mold create a musty, mildew smell that is immediately apparent to anyone who enters from outside, other types can be far sneakier. These types may not have a strong smell, and if water leakage has taken place above the ceiling or behind the walls, this mold may spread rapidly before it ever reaches detectable proportions in a visible area. 

Some signs that you may have mold growth stemming from a hidden water leak include: 

  • Headaches
  • Coughing or sneezing
  • Nausea 
  • Postnasal drip
  • Unexplained weight loss

If you find that your symptoms seem to worsen each time you come home, or that you tend to feel at your worst after a good night's sleep and progressively better throughout the day after you've been out and about, it's likely that something in your home is causing these problems.  

What should you expect from a mold assessment?

If you suspect that your household is facing a mold problem, your next step should be to contact a mold remediation company. This company can come perform a mold assessment in your home to try to pinpoint the location (or locations) where mold is growing and determine the best removal options.

In some cases, especially when mold is pervasive, sections of wall may need to be removed and replaced or treated; in other cases, the mold may be removed in a fairly simple process that involves treating the affected area with bleach and other strong chemicals that can kill any mold spores that may be left behind. After thoroughly drying these surfaces with an industrial fan (and making recommendations to help you avoid future water damage), the mold remediation company will be able to leave you and your family with a much healthier, happier home. Companies like AMRC Consulting and Engineering can help with this.